Mt. Diablo Soccer's Select program follows our Fall primary program and is only for the Under-10 through Under-19 divisions. This is an opportunity for players to improve their skills in a more competitive but still recreational environment. Players are chosen, teams formed and announced in November. Training sessions typically start the first week of December for U10 through U14 teams while teams with high school players convene in mid February after the Winter high school season is over. The Select program game schedule runs from January through mid-March and then all teams continue to play in tournaments that end typically in May but could go as late as June - this varies based on the team coaches and the team.
All eligible players (Under-10 and up) are encouraged to apply. Please note that to be eligible for the Select program a player must be enrolled in the prior Fall primary program and must have participated in at least 50% of their fall team games. You may only participate in Select in the same division that you participated in during the Fall program.
The number of teams that will be formed in each division varies from year to year. As a rule, there is typically 1 Select team for every 8 Fall program teams in each division. Select teams will travel more than fall teams, as the region could play teams from Davis, Stockton and Rio Vista, as well as Winters, Rio Linda and Antelope (and possibly others - this may vary from year to year).
A higher level of commitment is expected from both the players AND the parents. Select is for enthusiastic and motivated players. For the purposes of player development, a player is expected to regularly attend training sessions and games. Parents are also expected to participate in league organization, particularly in the running of the Area 2C & 2D Select Tournament (end of March) and Concord Cup (mid May) which Mt. Diablo Soccer is a Host.
To apply for the 2012-2013 Select season please click here. The deadline for applying is October 28.
If you are interested in participating in the Select Season please fill out the player appliction. Select teams are created around late October/early November timeframe after the fall program ends. The list of interested players is distributed to each appointed Select coach in October.
U10-U14 tryouts will be held on two Sundays - October 7th and 14th -
- U10 Boys and Girls - 10am
- U12 Boys and Girls - 12pm
- U14 Boys and Girls - 2pm
The tryout locations will be communicated to all Select applicants via email. Player ratings will be used to help Mt. Diablo Soccer adhere to the Balance Teams philosophy in every division where there are more than two select teams. In making their decisions, select coaches will typically not only consider a player's soccer skills but may also factor their demonstrated sportsmanship, ability to be a team player, and commitment to fully participate in all team training sessions and games.
- Q: I cannot make the tryout date/time. How does that affect my child's chances of getting on a Select team?
- Answer: The league would like to see as many kids at the tryouts as possible so they can be evaluated with their "peers." Attending Select tryouts, while not mandatory, is strongly encouraged to give kids the best opportunity to show the coaches their skills.
- Q: Can my child attend more than one try out date?
- Answer: Yes - your child is encouraged to attend as many tryouts as offered.
- Q: How long after the tryouts will I be notified if my child has been chosen to play Select?
- Answer: You will be notified no later than November 10th if your child has been chosen to play Select or not.
For those interested in being considered to coach the upcomming select season, please click here and fill out the online application before October 7th.
The 2012-2013 Select player registration fees is $130 to offset the cost of uniform kits (two jerseys, shorts, socks and a personalized warm up jacket), field rental fees (including training session under lights) and other incidental expenses. Select participants should expect to play typically in 3 to 5 tournaments. The tournament registration costs vary, but typically run around $40-$50 per player per tournament and will cost approximately up to $200 per player in addition to the player registration fee - these fees are collected separately from the registration fee. Other incidental costs may include travel, food, and lodging depending on the location of the tournament.
Travel & Tournaments
Select teams will play in tournaments following the Area 2C Select tournament. Typically Select teams play in at least three tournaments. The tournaments are usually chosen in consultation with the families of the players. All tournament-related costs are separate and distinct from the Select program registration fee and are therefore the responsibility of each individual team. The Regional Commissioner must approve all tournament team rosters.
The Select team will likely play half its games at away locations, so from January through mid-March, expect about five weekends during which you will play away games, usually in the Davis area, but sometimes Antelope or Stockton. All select teams participate in a tournament on a weekend in mid or late March. The tournament may be local or in Davis.
Select teams traditionally participate in the following additional tournaments:
2011 TOURNAMENT DATES - (subject to change)
- Area 2C/2D Select Tournament / March TBD 2013
- PHMSA Soccerfest: Girls Weekend / March 16-17, 2013 (www.phmsa.org)
- PHMSA Soccerfest: Boys Weekend / March 23-24, 2013 (www.phmsa.org)
- Comstock Shootout - Carson Ciy, Nevada; Girls weekend: April 20-21, 2013 (www.comstockshootout.org)
- Comstock Shootout - Carson City, Nevada; Boys weekend: April 27-28, 2013 (www.comstockshootout.org)
- Pacifica Fog Classic: May 4-5, 2013 (www.ayso157.org)
- Concord Cup: May 18-19th, 2013 (www.concordcup.com)
- Davis World Cup: May 25-27, 2013 (davisworldcup.org)
More information on AYSO approved Tournaments offered in Northern California visit: http://www.ayso.org/events/tournament_info.aspx