MDSA GAMES ARE SELF ASSIGN
**For SELECT games in inLeague, choose SELECT under Competition in Referee Scheduler**
For Elite Games Choose USSF > 4 > Heritage
IMPORTANT REFEREE UPDATES & DOCUMENTS:
WHY BECOME A REFEREE?
We need you. We can’t have games without referees. More importantly, it’s rewarding and working with kids is great fun!
Referees are critical to soccer – the game can’t be played without them. The referee’s job is to be the official in charge of the game. They are the independent arbiter and manager of the game. Their authority extends to everyone at the field, including players, substitutes, team officials, spectators, and even assistant referees.
REFEREE DUTIES & REQUIREMENTS
Mt. Diablo Soccer has a very clear philosophy – its games are to be played so that they are a safe, positive, enjoyable, growth experience for the children. However, this is not achieved by adopting idiosyncratic or peculiar rules. Our games follow standard international soccer (FIFA) Law very closely, with only a very few changes to adapt to AYSO philosophy (e.g. controlled substitution to ensure that “everyone plays”) and, at the youngest age levels, to adapt the game to the physical and mental maturity of the players.
HOW TO BECOME A REFEREE
REQUIREMENTS FOR ALL REFEREES
As with all AYSO Volunteers, becoming a referee involves 3 easy steps:
Step 1 – Register as a Volunteer with AYSO
- Complete the Parent Registration in inLeague, selecting the appropriate Volunteer Role. Ensure you use your FULL LEGAL NAME.
- Once the Volunteer Application is received by MDSA, it will be submitted to Sterling Volunteers to complete the AYSO National Background Check
- CHECK YOUR EMAILS FOR AN UPDATE FROM STERLING VOLUNTEERS. It is necessary to follow the steps in this email to submit your Background Check.
- You will receive an update email from Sterling Volunteers when your Background Check is complete and you are eligible to volunteer.
- For info and FAQs on the Volunteer Registration, see the inLeague Help Section.
- The Background Check MUST be completed ANNUALLY.
Step 2 – Complete Mandatory Safe Haven & Concussion Training Online
- Sign in to AYSOU using your inLeague email and password.
- Under My Courses, complete AYSO’s Safe Haven course online (must be completed after 2013). It is a short course that outlines the important elements around protecting our children and volunteers.
- Under My Courses, complete CDC: Concussion Course online.
Step 3 – Complete the applicable age-appropriate official AYSO Referee Certification for the upcoming season
- See schedule below or contact our Referee Admin Team for upcoming trainings, or view Upcoming Courses in AYSOU.
- Not sure if you have taken the courses previously? You can view all your certifications under your account at MDSoccer.
Step 4 – Self-Assign on Game Schedule
- For Fall, Spring and Select Program games: inLeague
- For Elite Program CalNorth games (authorized referees only): RefScheduler – select USSF>4>Heritage