WHY BECOME A REFEREE?
We need you. We can’t have games without referees. More importantly, it’s rewarding and working with kids is great fun!
Referees are critical to soccer – the game can’t be played without them. The referee’s job is to be the official in charge of the game. They are the independent arbiter and manager of the game. Their authority extends to everyone at the field, including players, substitutes, team officials, spectators, and even assistant referees.
But why should you do it? While everyone is welcome, refereeing is especially likely to appeal to you if you like being involved (you tend to get fidgety on the sidelines); enjoy sports, even strange ones (you wish you were playing, instead of just your kids); enjoy (or need!) physical activity (reffing is a great, light, regular workout); don’t have quite enough time, patience or soccer skills to be a coach. If any of these describe you, you should give refereeing a try.
When you do, you’ll find out that it’s fun! Especially at the younger age levels, refereeing is not particularly stressful. Your role is to help the kids structure their game as soccer and, occasionally, to intervene to keep it fair. Best of all, you get to be out on the field with the kids enjoying the game “up-close”, while everyone else has to watch from the touch-lines.
REFEREE DUTIES & REQUIREMENTS
Mt. Diablo Soccer has a very clear philosophy – its games are to be played so that they are a safe, positive, enjoyable, growth experience for the children. However, this is not achieved by adopting idiosyncratic or peculiar rules. Our games follow standard international soccer (FIFA) Law very closely, with only a very few changes to adapt to AYSO philosophy (e.g. controlled substitution to ensure that “everyone plays”) and, at the youngest age levels, to adapt the game to the physical and mental maturity of the players.
HOW TO BECOME A REFEREE
REQUIREMENTS FOR ALL REFEREES
As with all AYSO Volunteers, becoming a referee involves 3 easy steps:
Step 1 – Register as a Volunteer with AYSO
- Complete the Parent Registration in inLeague, selecting the appropriate Volunteer Role. Ensure you use your FULL LEGAL NAME.
- Once the Volunteer Application is received by MDSA, it will be submitted to Sterling Volunteers to complete the AYSO National Background Check
- CHECK YOUR EMAILS FOR AN UPDATE FROM STERLING VOLUNTEERS. It is necessary to follow the steps in this email to submit your Background Check.
- You will receive an update email from Sterling Volunteers when your Background Check is complete and you are eligible to volunteer.
- For info and FAQs on the Volunteer Registration, see the inLeague Help Section.
- The Background Check MUST be completed ANNUALLY.
Step 2 – Complete Mandatory Safe Haven, Concussion Training and Sudden Cardiac Arrest Training Online
- Sign in to AYSOU using your inLeague email and password.
- Under My Courses, complete AYSO’s Safe Haven course online (must be completed after 2013). It is a short course that outlines the important elements around protecting our children and volunteers.
- Under My Courses, complete CDC: Concussion Course online.
- Sudden Cardiac Arrest training is now mandatory for all referees in California, but has not yet been integrated on AYSOU. The training is offered by the National Federation of State High School Associations (NFHS). If you don’t have an account, you may need to sign up to gain access to the training. The compete course takes 15 minutes, including printing your certificate. Once you get your certificate, download the PDF file, rename it as “Last Name, First Name, SAC Certificate”, and email to email@example.com.
Step 3 – Complete the applicable age-appropriate official AYSO Referee Certification for the upcoming season
- See schedule below or contact our Referee Admin Team for upcoming trainings, or view Upcoming Courses in AYSOU.
- Not sure if you have taken the courses previously? You can view all your certifications under your account at MDSoccer.
Step 4 – Self-Assign on Game Schedule
- For Fall, Spring and Select Program games: inLeague
- For Elite Program CalNorth games (authorized referees only): RefScheduler – select USSF>4>Heritage