As you know, MDSA is an all volunteer organization and one of the most important volunteer positions we have is the referee. Without a certified referee in the center of a match – we can’t play (goals need to go away, no fun….). I wanted to encourage everyone who receives this message to support our program and become a soccer referee. I would also encourage our older youth who like the game to think about learning to be a referee as well and support the younger kids in the program.
Why become a referee?
- Kids can’t have a real game without you
- We are seeing volunteers decline year over year (esp since COVID)
- We provide all the training and gear
- It’s the best seat in the house!
What does it take to be a referee? REF REQUIREMENTS
Basically some required volunteer training and steps from the state of CA + learning to be a referee (thru online training and a field session).
We will be hosting 2 field sessions in the next few weeks for anyone interested in becoming a referee:
- March 18 from 9am to 1230 pm @ Mtn View Elementary- Regional Referee field session (focus on 10u + matches). Take required online training before class (Regional Referee Companion course in eTrainU) and sign up for the field session on Mar 18. We need a minimum of 5 people to have the class. Free whistles and gear provided to those who complete their training.
- March 21 – 530pm – 7pm – Boatwright Field #2 – 7/8U referee training Take 8u referee online training in eTrainU before class and just show up – free whistles / shirts / badges for attendees that have completed their volunteer training.
Thank you for considering this. If we don’t have referees at our matches the kids can’t play – so I ask you all to consider volunteering your time for our program overall to help enrich children’s lives through soccer.
Let me know if you have any questions and thanks in advance for considering this.
MDSA Referee Administrator